What Is Feng Shui, and How Can It Help You?
Feng shui is a Chinese system of geomancy, and it is believed to use both the laws of Heaven and Earth. It is thought that feng shui helps one improve his or her life by receiving positive Chi or Qi.
Feng shui is both an art and a science, and it was developed more than 3,000 years ago in China. “Feng” means “wind,” and “shui” means “water.” In the Chinese culture, both wind and water are associated with good health, thus good fortune, so the term feng shui was interpreted to mean good fortune. Feng shui is also based on the Taoist culture and vision of understanding nature and on the idea that the earth and the land are alive and filled with life force or chi.
- Some examples of feng shui include using mirrors to shift the energy of a given space.
- Mirrors are thought to bring good energy into a space, if properly used and placed.
- Feng shui may also use certain colors, such as green, to help bring a sense of renewal, fresh energy and new beginnings to a space.
- The energy map, or bagua, is thought to be a good way to analyze the energy of a space, whether that is the home, the garden or the office.
- Feng shui is said to bring good energy and good luck into a space.
Helpful Tips for Beginners
- Clearing out the clutter of a space and getting rid of anything that you do not absolutely love is a great place to start.
- This is the equivalent to “lightening your load.”
- This helps create a harmonious house full of feng shui energy.
- Having good quality air and light are also extremely important to bringing good feng shui energy into an environment.
- Natural light is an important part of the process, in addition to opening the windows and using air-purifying plants.
Using the Bagua
- Defining the bagua, or the feng shui energy map, of a house is an important part of the process.
- One can use a compass or the BTB grid, also known as the Western feng shui school bagua.
- This grid consists of nine squares or rectangles that fit over your home or floor plan, each having different areas for improvement.
- This grid includes areas for personal growth and cultivation, career or life path, helpful people or blessings, health and family, ying and yang, children and creativity, prosperity and abundance, fame or reputation and love and marriage.
Five Basic Elements of Feng Shui
- There are basically five elements to feng shui: wood, fire, earth, metal and water.
- Each of these corresponds to different colors.
- Wood is represented by green or brown.
- Fire is represented by reds, oranges, yellows, purples or pinks.
- Earth is represented by light yellow, sandy/earthy or light brown.
- Metal is represented by white or light gray.
- Water is represented by blue or black.
Feng Shui and Prosperity
- The feng shui element of wood is tied to prosperity.
- The Southeast area of your home or office is tied to prosperity and abundance.
- You can use the feng shui map, or bagua, to locate this area in your home or business.
- You can also strengthen the money area with healthy lush green plants, through water features or through the use of colors, such as blue, green or brown, which signify the elements of wood and water.
Feng shui is a complex study of elements. By clearing out the clutter, using the five elements and repositioning furniture, you can begin to use the art of feng shui to create a harmonious home or space. You can use feng shui to bring more love or success or just create a better flow of energy.