Are You Being Authentically You?
Are you feeling like a puppet, as if your hands and legs are tied up in what others want you to do (instead of what you want to do)? Over your lifetime, you’ll change, transform and evolve. Stay true to yourself along the way by incorporating the following tips and tricks for a happy, content life.
What Is Living an Authentic Life All About?
- What you do is not the same thing as who you are. Parent, student or lawyer, the roles in life that you take on can feel like they are who you are, but deep down, you’re separate from all of that—it’s part of you, but not who you are.
- Your authentic self life is about choices you make, as well as your wisdom, talents, passions, and those unique things you choose to express.
- Live authentically by listening to your intuition, and do what feels right (no matter what anyone else has to say about it).
- Focus on what makes you feel like you have a sense of freedom and what fits with your life—not what is best for your parents, or most acceptable for society.
Your True Self vs. Your Fictional Self
- True self – Deep down, the person you really are at the core (compassionate, skilled at bringing out the best in others, etc.).
- Fictional Self – What other people want you to do or become, or what you have accepted is the thing you “should” become. Can be a role, such as a teacher, mother, girlfriend or doctor. It can be anything you don’t quite feel fulfilled doing, and that prevents you from living the life you were meant to live.
Define the Unique Talents That Make You Who You Are
- What did you love doing as a child? Playing sports, acting in plays or figuring out how to create tall buildings made out of Legos? Whatever you loved doing as a child is most often the deepest desire you truly have, and what you still love to do now.
- Make a list of all of your goals (big and small) and small steps to carry you through them. If your calling is to sell your mural paintings instead of working as a legal secretary, focus on small, actionable steps you can take right now to make that happen.
- What traits set you apart from everyone else? Focus on this list, and remind yourself of it every single day—as you do, it will create confidence and a desire to live that life.
Focus on What You Can and Will Do to Make Your Goals Happen
- There is always something you can be doing. If you feel “stuck” on your current path and want to take a more honest approach to living your life, focus on a weekly goal.
- As smaller goals become a reality, set your intention for bigger goals, etc.
Pursue Creative Interests, and Make Them Part of Your Life
- Ask yourself: “What do I love doing? What makes me feel alive? What activities make me feel energetic, and what activities make me feel a loss of energy and motivation? ”
- Focus on taking up new hobbies—photography, cooking class, a beginner’s class on entrepreneurship, etc. Experiment with new hobbies and find out what excites you!
Your authentic self is like a thumbprint which sets you apart from every other person in the world and defines you, uniquely. Focus on what is important to you and what your passions are in order to continue moving forward in an authentic way.