The Top 10 Supplements Your Body Craves
Boosting your health can come in many forms – eating in moderation, digesting natural health supplements and even taking in extra fresh greens all day long. But what really works to give your well-being a jump start? Here’s a list of the top 10 supplements to pick and choose from so that you can know which ones you truly need (and no longer feel overwhelmed at the health store!).
- Known as the mother of all supplements, a great daily multi-vitamin contains vitamin B9 (folic acid), C, D and E along with iron, magnesium and riboflavin.
- Brand-name multivitamins contain your daily allotment for each vitamin and mineral, but it is important not to exceed the dosage.
- A healthy fat, this is an essential supplement for both men and women to take if they are not getting enough of the right whole foods in their diet.
- Contains fatty acids for brain development, to reduce the risk for blood clotting and prevent heart disease and stroke.
- Includes vitamin A and D to help boost immunity to disease and strengthen bones.
- This healthy fat, a form of omega-3, is important for both genders, but for men especially.
- It works to improve cholesterol levels and reduce their risk for prostate and colon cancer.
- It’s recommended to eat fish three times a week. If you can’t, take one fish oil supplement per day.
- Calcium is one of the most important minerals in your body for flexibility and strong bones.
- It’s especially important for women to take a calcium supplement so that they don’t develop osteoporosis, as well as a variety of bone and muscle related diseases that can happen with age.
- Take 1,300 mg/day if you are between 19–50 years of age.
- If you are between 51–71, take 1,000 mg/day.
- From age 71 onwards, take 1,200 mg/day.
- One of the most important preventive health measures you can take, Vitamin D is what your bones need to take in enough calcium to become strong.
- When you don’t have enough of this vitamin, your body takes it from your bones and depletes them of strength.
- Vitamin D can also help decrease stress and depression tendencies.
- The recommendation is to take one vitamin D pill a day at 1,000 IU. Women can take up to 2,000 IU/day.
- Help your body to fight off disease, and ease diarrhea and inflammation
- Decrease risk of infection
- Keep your digestive track in order by improving the quality of the bacteria in your system
- Improve your risk for irritable bowel syndrome, skin disease or irritation
- Improves low red cell count
- Heightens energy levels
- Contains cobolamin, which helps to restore and enhance brain functions
- Increases your resistance to anemia
- Otherwise known as folic acid or folate, this vitamin boosts your cell health, improves your metabolic rate and supports your digestive system.
- It’s naturally found in leafy greens, but if you’re skipping meals or not getting balanced meals at least three times a day, take a supplement.
- Can improve blood pressure and even assist with sleep disorders
- An excellent supplement for men to take, it has been successful at helping men preserve sperm quality
- Boosts the success rate of fat-burning workouts
- Can help decrease the frequency and intensity of headaches and migraines
- Can help improve blood vessels
- Reduces risk for diabetes and stroke
Maintaining good health isn’t about popping pills, or stuffing your body with leafy greens, antioxidant-rich berries and protein-packed foods. It’s about having a well-balanced diet that fuels your body with vitamins and minerals. When you can’t get that in a given day, taking the above top 10 supplements is the perfect way to support your everyday health.