What Are the Healthiest Cocktails to Drink?
No two cocktails are created equal, either in taste, or amount of sugar and calories. If you want to feel fit and healthy by the time swimsuit season approaches, here are the best, smartest and low calorie cocktails to consider. Of course, you should still limit your intake to just one or two.
- Tomato juice, vodka, lemon juice, just a bit of tabasco and Worcestershire sauce
- 123 calories; 4 grams sugar; 5 grams carbs; 17 alcohol units
- Orange juice and champagne
- Only 85 calories per drink!
- 7 grams sugar; 9 grams carbs; 9 grams alcohol
- Grapefruit juice and gin
- 137 calories; 10 grams sugar; 10 grams carbs; 16 grams alcohol
- Tip – Use vodka instead of gin to make a Greyhound.
- Champagne, simple syrup, lemon juice, and often another juice such as raspberry
- Different variations to choose from (white peach, pomegranate, etc.)
- 157 calories; 9 grams carbs; 14 grams alcohol
- Dry vermouth, vodka and 2–3 green olives
- 147 calories; 0 grams sugar, 0 grams carbs, 24 grams alcohol
- Gin, soda water, lemon juice and gomme syrup (2:1 sugar to water mix with gum arabic)
- 141 calories; 9 grams sugar; 11 grams carbs; 17 grams alcohol
- Tequila, lemon juice and Cointreau
- 139 calories; 5 grams sugar; 6 grams carbs; 21 grams alcohol
- Tip – Skip the fruity add on such as mango, and order it on the rocks instead of frozen. Frozen margaritas typically add more sugar than your waistline will appreciate!
- Mint, sugar, lime juice, white Rum and carbonated (soda) water
- 159 calories; 15 grams sugar; 17 grams carbs; 16 grams alcohol
- Vodka and orange juice
- 165 calories; 9 grams sugar; 11 grams carbs; 19 grams alcohol
- Tip – Add extra ice so by the end the drink will be slightly watered down, which will help you stay a bit better hydrated.
- Vodka, grapefruit juice and cranberry juice
- 165 calories; 18 grams sugar; 18 grams carbs; 16 grams alcohol
Modifications for Your Favorite High Calorie Cocktails
- You don’t always have to give up your favorite cocktails – just find new ways to cut down calories with sugar-free mixes or other alternatives.
- Cosmopolitans (one of the worst cocktails for you) have over 300 calories and 4 teaspoons of sugar. Use low-calorie, no-sugar-added cranberry juice to cut the calories in half.
- Order on the rocks instead of frozen.
- According to FitDay, Pina Colada drinks are one of the worst cocktails – containing as much as 700 calories per drink!
- Avoid fruity drinks whenever possible – that’s your margaritas, daiquiris or any other drinks with umbrellas or pieces of fresh fruit attached to the rim. Opt for a white or red wine instead.
- The more alcohol there is, the more calories you’re drinking.
- For every 1 ounce of alcohol, you’re taking in almost 100 calories. Do the math before ordering another drink!
As it goes with the foods you eat, everything is best enjoyed in moderation, including these low calorie cocktails. Treating yourself to the occasional cocktail – and only a couple drinks per happy hour – will lower your chances of gaining weight and suffering the dreaded next-day hangover.